We strive to ensure that all our students feel safe, cared for and supported at school, according to our duty of care and our role in loco parentis. We are always here to listen and to discuss your or your child’s fears, worries and concerns. We place student wellbeing at the heart of everything we do.
Our Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy is available via a link below, along with some useful resources and links.
There are four main elements to our Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy:
We promote a positive school atmosphere and provide pastoral support to children and young people through safe and appropriate working practices.
We follow agreed procedures and make sure our staff are fully trained and supported to respond appropriately and sensitively to child protection concerns.
We offer support, advice and guidance to students and staff in situations where young people may be at risk of abuse or have been abused.
We work together with all our young people, parents and agencies to encourage safeguarding and wellbeing for all our students.
Introducing our pastoral and safeguarding team.
If you need to discuss concerns regarding your child or another student, please initially contact the appropriate Head of Year.
If your concern is of a child protection or safeguarding nature, please contact Miss Hill, our Child Protection Co-ordinator, in the first instance.
Useful links and resources for parents/carers, children and young people: (please also see attachments at the bottom of the page)
Anti-bullying - https://anti-bullyingalliance.org.uk/
Contact Sarah Hall the Anti bullying Coordinator via email: SHall@cottinghamhigh.net
Bereavement - Winston's Wish - www.winstonswish.org
Child Criminal Exploitation - Contact Sarah Hill the Child Protection Officer via email: Hill.S@cottinghamhigh.net
Child Sexual Exploitation - Contact Sarah Hill the Child Protection Officer via email: Hill.S@cottinghamhigh.net
Domestic Violence - Domestic violence - adults (eastriding.gov.uk)
Drugs and alcohol REFRESH - www.refreshhull.org.uk
Female Genital Mutilation - Contact Sarah Hill the Child Protection Officer via email: Hill.S@cottinghamhigh.net
Gaming - www.internetmatters.org
LGBTQ - Contact Claire Cassidy LGBTQ Lead via email: Cassidy.C@cottinghamhigh.net
Mental Health and Wellbeing - Contact Vanessa Clucas - Student Wellbeing Lead via email: Clucas.V@cottinghamhigh.net
MESMAC - sexual health and LGBTQ+ - www.mesmac.co.uk
- ACT Early | Prevent radicalisation
- Lets Talk About It - Working Together To Prevent Terrorism (ltai.info)
Sexual Harassment and child-on-child abuse - Contact Sarah Hill the Child Protection Officer via email: Hill.S@cottinghamhigh.net
Support in school
- The school nurse is available at a weekly session to offer support on a variety of issues such as internet and social media safety, sleep, anxiety, stress and emotional wellbeing.
Tik Tok - Social Media Guidance for Parents
- The TikTok Guardians Guide which provides an overview of their safety and privacy features. This also includes the Five Tips mentioned in the webinar.
- TikTok’s online challenges page which includes a section on how to talk to young people about challenges.
- Praesidio Safeguarding's report on the dangerous challenges research project.
- TikTok’s wellbeing page including information on screentime tools and tips.
- Internet Matters' report on the screentime project:
- TikTok has also collaborated with Internet Matters on a guide to TikTok for parents.
- Childline – 0800 1111
- NSPCC Helpline – 0808 800 5000
- Parentline Plus – 0808 800 2222
- Kidscape – 020 7730 3300
Support for parents
East Riding Early Help and Safeguarding Hub - tel 395500
Hull Early Help and Safeguarding Hub - tel 448879
Special Educational Needs and Disability Information Advice and Support Service - tel 396469. Email address - email@example.com
School Nurse Chat Health - text 07507332891
Hull and East Riding MIND - email mind.org.uk or tel 240200
CAMHS Crisis Team - tel 301701
Refresh Drugs Support - tel 331059
SEEDS Support for Eating Disorders - tel 344084